OK, yeah yeah. I missed a day. In my initial post I said I wouldn’t quit. I did NOT say I wouldn’t be late. So I’m going to take poetic license and sort of meld the two days together. Actually it kind of works out better that way…
Yesterday, I went to the doctor’s office. I’d made an appointment to “get an ex-ray, an MRI, ultrasound, anything to give me a clue as to why my knee hurts all the time!” The person I normally see was out, but they got me in to see another guy who turned out to be great! He poked and prodded, and twisted and turned my leg every which way. And, just like when you take your car to the mechanic for that thing that goes Kachink-a-bzzzzz-pop all the time, but it won’t when you’re there, my knee refused to cooperate. And by cooperate, I mean it didn’t pop, it didn’t lock up, it didn’t even hurt when it was bent into pretzel shapes. But this doctor understood my plight and told me that while it was a very young 55 year old knee – still and all, it was a 55 year old knee, and there was likely some inflamation in the joint. He suggested I do 4 things.
1. Go downstairs to get my knee ex-rayed. Just to be sure there were no bone spurs or damage.
2. Take this anti-inflammatory perscription pill every day for two weeks
3. Continue to do my yoga in the morning
4. Put ice on my knee immediately after yoga.
OK. So this is what I did. And honestly, The. Next. Day. My nemesis the knee pain was all but gone! Craaaazy! So this is a life changing thing, brought about (in part) by one of the 5 things I’ve committed to doing every day! Craaaaazy!
Meditation: Did meditation on my own this morning with the aid of chimes and bells at the end of my Yoga program. I’ll admit to wandering off my path a lot. I do not get meditation.
Exercize: 36 minutes of Yoga. Stretches for back and abs. The best part of my day.
1. I’m thankful today for doctors who care about and connect with their patients
2. I’m thankful as well for drugs that anti-inflame my poor inflamed knee
3. I’m thankful for the bag of frozen peas that brought additional anti-inflamation relief.
4. I’m especially thankful today for coworkers who took a minute to connect and share, or ask how I was doing today. You guys will never know how much I needed that today.
5. I’m thankful for the Chicken Cordon Bleu from Speakeasy, that was too much for dinner last night, but just perfect for lunch today.
6. I’m thankful for independent adult kids who come and go as they please at my house, and do what they can to pitch in, all the while filling my mommy-soul with warm fuzzies.
Act of Kindness: it is kind of sad to claim an act of kindness as some act of murder or violence you didn’t do, but I’m making my own rules here and dammit, I’m on a roll! So at the clinic, as I was waiting in line to check in for my appointment – standing back from the counter, so as to allow the others their privacy – a little old lady walked in, and right past me to take her place in line… in front of me. Granted, she was wearing the wraparound dark glasses that act more as blinders, but seriously – she walked around me to stand in front of me! What did I look like, a pole?! So when the reception person motioned obviously around her to me, of course, she walked right up to the window. I summoned all of the I’m-gonna-make-this-an-act-of-kindness mojo I had and just smiled. And honestly, it wasn’t even a minute before I was checking in, and the reception person apologized all over herself. I just smiled and said, “aw shucks, it’s no big deal.”
One Good Thing: The best thing that happened today was that I found two perfectly ripe avocados at the grocery store tonight, and, using some of the scallions from my garden, a half a lemon, and some Himalayan sea salt, I made the perfect guacamole to enjoy with organic blue corn chips. Heaven.